Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Classic books

While I was finishing my MBA, I made a list of some things I wanted to do once I had more free time. In particular, for college and post-grad degrees, I've found that my leisure reading always drops way off while I'm in school. Since I'm doing so much reading for classes themselves, that doesn't seem like the greatest way to relax. Due to having two kids now and a quite demanding job, I can't say that the free time has really materialized. Nonetheless I've found time to do a little bit more reading. I've been targeting some classics that I haven't read thus far, for two main reasons. One, if something is a classic (I guess the term is subjective, but whatever), it should be pretty good, and two, this is an area I know I need to shore up for when I eventually get on Jeopardy, my nerd dream. So here's what I've read thus far since I graduated, and a few I plan to read soon.

Here's what I've finished reading:
A Confederacy of Dunces
The Catcher in the Rye
The Great Gatsby

Planned to read:
Their Eyes Were Watching God - have out from library, hope to read over Christmas
Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck Centennial Edition) -have out from library, hope to read over Christmas
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
 

Of course there's other books that I have read and plan to read, but I don't think they fit into the definition of a classic, so I'll cut off the list there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan,

What did you make of The Great Gatsby? Take Care, Bob